Ultimate Summer Salmon Cobb Platter
Featuring Seafood from Heinen's Fine Foods
Sockeye salmon are one of the most beautiful types of fish in the world. The deep red color is so stunning that it always makes me pause in awe. This simple preparation for Alaskan sockeye salmon allows your guests to have fun assembling their own unique creations. Sometimes the best seafood dishes let the co-stars stay on the side and let the fresh and fabulous seafood have the spotlight. Here are three rules for buying and cooking seafood:
- Buy your seafood from a reliable source like Heinen’s Fine Foods. Talk with your family and friends about the health of our oceans.
- Use your sense of sight and touch to get a feel for when the seafood is done. Recognizing the proper look and texture of fish is important so you don’t overcook it. You’ll get the hang of it.
- Have fun and try different cooking techniques.
Apple Cider Vinaigrette (ACV)
1 cup olive oil
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup capers
1/4 cup minced shallots
a handful of chopped dill
- Whisk together all ingredients in a bowl.
8 pieces of sockeye salmon
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon of avocado oil
- Season both sides of the salmon with salt and pepper
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Place the salmon skin side up into the pan and cook for about 4 minutes. Flip the salmon and cook for 3 to 4 more minutes.
Local mixed greens
1 cup of red cherry tomatoes
1 cup of yellow cherry tomatoes
2 cups of cooked sweet corn kernels
1 cup of roasted shishito peppers (or bell peppers)
1 cup of crumbled blue cheese
1 cups of Heinen’s own cooked shrimp
1 cup of diced red onion
1 cup of olives
8 hardboiled eggs
- Lightly dress the greens with about half of the ACV and place in the middle of a large platter.
- Assemble the components all around the outside of the greens.
- Place the salmon in the middle over the greens and drizzle with the remaining ACV.
Pro tip (optional). Separate the egg whites and thinly slice. Grate the egg yolk on a microplane for an unbelievable light and airy texture. Make this dish your own by interchanging or adding ingredients.
Other ideas: crumbled bacon, avocado, sliced brussels sprouts.